Friday, June 1, 2012

Feature Friday: Heat Embossing

Happy Friday peeps!

We have a new focus for Fridays here at The Aviary. Each Friday we will spotlight a technique, stamp set, a designer, projects or go back and showcase something from the past. 
This week we are focusing on heat embossing.  Perhaps like me when you first ventured into stamping you embossed a lot, but as time passed your heat gun got a little lonely.  There is nothing like picking up a new technique or revisiting one to get the most out of your stamps.

Let's take a quick look back at previous projects here at The Aviary taking special notice of heat embossing.

White embossing on a dark paper to create a customized paper design:
{Stamps: Frothy Concoctions & Play With Your Coffee}


White embossing the flourishes to mimic water:
{Stamps: Whimsical Pattern Alphabet & Flourish Fun 2}


Silver embossing flourishes to create flying movement of the butterfly and also to decorate the butterfly:
{Stamps: Flourish Fun 1 & Flourish Fun 2}

White embossing flourishes and then paper punching them to create an interesting and graphic look:
{Stamps: Flourish Fun 1 & Flourish Fun 2}

White embossing the panel to make the image pop against the lovely colors:
{Stamps: Butterfly Panel}
White embossed bird house to act as a frame for the watercoloring:
{Stamps: Home Tweet Home}


White embossed panels acting as a resist to sprays and inks:
{Stamps: Bird Panel, Butterfly Panel, Crane Panel & Owl Panel}   


White embossed panels acting as a resist for inks and to allow the colors to pop:
{Stamps: Bird Panel & Owl Panel}


Silver embossed typewriter for a metallic look:
{Stamps: Vintage Technology, Day Framer, Life Framer & Snapshot Framer)


I decided to create a new card using black embossing powder. 

I thought I would share a couple of pictures of the embossing process before you see the final product:


Black embossing makes a great impact when you use bright saturated colors like I did on this card using Dylusions sprays. I love how deep, rich and sharp black embossing gives an image.  I stamped the pom pom image from Happy Day using Tsukineko's Versamark which is hands down my favorite ink for embossing.


I finished up the large panel with some black foam Thickers, distressing the edges with black ink and then adhering it on to a slightly larger black panel of cardstock except on the bottom which I punched with a new border punch that seemed to really work well with the pom pom image.  All of this I put onto a large white card base (a whole 8.5 x 11 sheet folded in half).
As today is June 1st we will also be announcing the winner of the Flight Plan Mission 002 and introducing Flight Plan Mission 003 to you.  Make sure to check back later!

Take flight,
Shay.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful "Happy Birthday" card with the embossed bows and punched border. I always forget about embossing until after I have finished my project. I need to get "Miss Hot Stuff" heatgun out and set her in the middle of my stamping table with some embossing powder. That way maybe I will remember to use it! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate and treasure each and every comment. You make our day by taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Have an uplifting day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...